SMITHVILLE LIVESTOCK SHOW REMINDERS
We wanted to pass on the updates for the 2021-2022 Smithville 4-H/FFA Livestock Show scheduled to take place in April 2022 at the River Bend Park in Smithville.
The next important date coming up is the Saturday, November 13th, validation and entry period for Steers, Heifers, Lambs, & Goats. Broiler & Rabbit entry forms & fees are also due at this event. This event will take place from 2:00 PM to 3:30 PM at the Smithville High School Ag Barns.
Additionally, we wanted to send a quick reminder for Rabbit Exhibitors – you should already have made contact with your breeder. We were informed that several market rabbit/meat pen breeders that have thrown in the towel and gotten out of the business due to Covid-19. Most breeders are already booked and have their does allocated for county shows. You might look for contact info for breeders through www.ARBA.net or www.texascals.org. Additionally, there are a few Facebook groups that were recommended:
- 6class rabbit discussion
- Meat Pen Breeders of Texas
- Californian Show Rabbits and Meat Pens – Texas
- Californian & New Zealand Show Rabbits – Texas
Please see the other information below and let us know if you have any questions!
- PLEASE NOTE: the rules and judging schedule(s) are subject to change due to uncontrollable circumstances and/or at the discretion of the Smithville FFA & 4-H Livestock Show & Exposition Committee board due to COVID 19, to ensure safety of our participants, volunteers, & judges.
- Saturday, November 13, 2021
- 2:00 PM to 3:30 PM at the Smithville HS Ag Building
- Steers, Heifers, Lambs, & Goats validation, entry forms & fees due
- Broiler order forms, entry forms, & fees due
- Rabbit entry forms & fees due
- Week of January 8-15, 2022 – rabbit does need to be bred at this time for the show
- Saturday, January 15, 2022
- 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM at the Smithville HS Ag Building
- Barrow validation, entry forms & fees due
- Ag Mechanics entry forms & fees due
- Late February/Early March 2022 – Broiler Chicks ready for pick-up (about 7 weeks before the show)
- Monday, March 21, 2022 – Rabbit Validation from 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM at the Smithville HS Ag Building
- Sunday, April 10, 2022 – Mandatory Set-Up Day @ 2:00 PM
- Thursday, April 21, 2022 – Scales available at River Bend Park from 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM (all species)
- Saturday, April 23, 2022 – SHOW DAY!!!
- Sunday, April 24, 2022 – Mandatory Clean-Up Day @ 2:00 PM
- Wednesday, June 15, 2022 – Thank You notes should be completed/received by buyers and the show board (mailed directly to the buyers & a proof mailed to the show board)
- Download the Rule Book Here
- Big Changes have a NEW*** notation that is in red text and yellow highlighted
FORMS (click on link to download):
- Entry Forms (with required Acknowledgement form on back)
- Due 11/13/21 for Steers, Heifers, Lambs, Goats, Broilers, & Rabbits
- Due 01/15/22 for Barrows & Ag Mechanics
- Project Expense Sheet – DUE on April 10, 2022 at Set-Up Day, must be completed for EACH of your projects
- At this time, the Show Board is being cautious about the schedule and will be making more decisions on the schedule and sale as we get closer to the show itself so they can both ensure everyone’s safety and the fun nature of the event.
- As a reminder, participation in this show is limited to those who attend Smithville ISD and are members of 4-H, FFA, or both. Also, Quality Counts is not a requirement to participate in this show; however, we highly recommend completing it as part of your project education and if you are interested in showing at majors or the upcoming county show.
- You will need to reach out to buyers ahead of time to develop a relationship with them and invite them to the show and sale:
- This is not just a one-time thing, you will need to keep them updated on your project and your goals
- Start out with an initial letter at the beginning of the school year updating them on what projects you have, your goals, and invite them to the show
- Send them some updates on your projects throughout the year and send them some reminders and invites as we get closer to the show
- Be sure to take pictures of you and your animals throughout your project timeline to add it to your letters/updates
- Some Examples of information to include:
- Tell them about yourself. Example – My name is ________ and I am a senior at _______________. I have been an active member in my chapter by showing_____________, and I have been an 4-H/FFA officer for three years.
- Tell them about this year’s project, and share pictures.
- Tell them your goals for this year’s project. Example – I plan on showing Ricky Bobby at the Smithville 4-H/FFA Livestock show, and then taking him to the San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo. If you didn’t get to show last year, included how your last year project was impacted because of COVID.
- INVITE THEM TO COME TO THE SHOW. Include date and time… make the invite personal
- Make sure to thank them, and personally sign it!
- THE MORE PERSONAL AND INVITING THE BETTER. If people get to know you they will become INVESTED in you and your project.
- Rockne Livestock Booster Club Buyer’s Letter Resources:
- Other opportunities can be found on the County Calendar – registration information should be included for each post.
- Other Contest related opportunities can be found on the Judging Card Calendar – to sign up for these opportunities, please contact Mellanie at MLMickelson@ag.tamu.edu or at 512-581-7186
That’s all for now! Have a great week and let us know if you have any questions!
Mellanie L. Mickelson
Bastrop County Extension Agent – 4-H & Youth Development
Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Services
P.O. Box 650 | 901 Pecan Street | Bastrop, TX 78602
p: (512) 581-7186 | c: (512) 522-9174 | f: (512) 581-7187