Beef Skillathon Practice
October 20 @ 4:30 pm - 5:30 pm
Please join us on the following dates for the Beef Skillathon Practice Series! The series will be held both in person (at the Lee County Extension Office) and over Zoom. If you have any questions, please contact the Bastrop County Extension Office at 512-581-7186 or MLMickelson@ag.tamu.edu.
Please email how you would like to participate (in person or virtually) and a completed copy of the virtual permission slip (1 per family – be sure to include everyone’s names) to the Bastrop County 4-H Agent, Mellanie, at MLMickelson@ag.tamu.edu!
Beef Skillathon Practices:
- Tuesday, October 6, 2020 at 4:30 PM
- Tuesday, October 13, 2020 at 4:30 PM (Virtual Only Session)
- Tuesday, October 20, 2020 at 4:30 PM
- Tuesday, November 10, 2020 at 4:30 PM
- Tuesday, November 17, 2020 at 4:30 PM
- Monday, December 7, 2020 at 4:30 PM
What is a Skillathon? A skillathon is a contest where youth are tested/demonstrate their knowledge and skills gained while learning about or caring for livestock projects. They are typically divided into one contest per species (Beef, Sheep, Swine, etc) and have stations that test knowledge/skills in breed ID, internal and external anatomy, feed ID and nutrition, cuts of meat, common medications, etc. NOTE: You do NOT need to own an animal to participate!!
Where can you participate in a skillathon? There are a few invitational contests that are open to the state and a few of the Major Livestock Shows have a skillathon you can enter!
- Beef Skillathon: State Fair & San Antonio Livestock Show
- Horse Skillathon: San Antonio Livestock Show
- Sheep Skillathon: State Fair & San Antonio Livestock Show
- Swine Skillathon: State Fair & San Antonio Livestock Show