ELGIN LIVESTOCK SHOW REMINDERS FOR DECEMBER & JANUARY
(Now the Bastrop County Junior Livestock Show (BCJLS))
We are getting excited!! We wanted to send out a couple of reminders for the Elgin Livestock Show & Youth Fair, as well as for the Rabbit Exhibitors since the show is only 4 weeks away!!!
Currently, acknowledgement of entry emails are being worked on by the Show Board and should be getting out this week. The Board is also working on a list of tasks completed by each youth to confirm payout status that will be available at the next meeting (scheduled for SUNDAY, January 2, 2022, following a barn clean up day). Payout Status is determined by the following tasks:
- Paid Membership by October 1, 2021
- Be an active member (family member attending at least 3 meetings)
- Sell one (1) fundraising ticket OR gain a sponsorship for the show
- Attend one (1) Barn Clean Up or (1) VFsetup/cleanup for youth fair ( as applicable)
- Complete Thank You Letter(s)
There is still a need for several buckle sponsors – sponsorships are about $100 each, if you have a sponsor please let the Show Board know as soon as possible. If youth were unable to sell a fundraiser ticket this year, this will also serve as another option for completing that task.
Check out some of the other information available below and let us know if you have any questions!
2021-2022 SHOW BOARD & MEETING INFORMATION:
- WEBSITE: https://www.elginlivestockshowassociation.com/
- ELECTED OFFICERS
- President: Patrick Maass
- Vice-President: Deborah Blackmore
- Secretary: Sarah Munzer
- Treasurer: Eric Fisher
- Note – cell numbers are being added to the website this week
- EMAIL: email@example.com
- MAILING ADDRESS:
- Elgin Livestock Show Association
- PO Box 1056
- Elgin, Texas 78621
- MEETING DATES:
- First Monday of each month at 7:00 PM at the Elgin VFW off of Hwy 95
- Next Meeting has a SPECIAL DATE & TIME CHANGE – January 2, 2022, immediately following the barn setup day.
YOUTH FAIR REMINDERS:
- Youth Fair Check-In will be from 7:00 AM to 9:00 AM on Friday, January 7, 2022
- Please be prepared with your paperwork, manners, patience, and a positive attitude
- These are volunteers taking off work to ensure you have an opportunity to exhibit your work
- They will not be opening check-in early and they will not be extending the check-in time.
- You may check on your placings, make edits to your country store prices, and ask questions when the public viewing opens at 4:00 PM on Friday, January 7th. Access to the Youth Fair area and updates/answers will not be available before 4:00 PM.
- Please have your youth fair paperwork completed and ready to hand to the committee the morning of check-in:
- Link to Youth Fair Rules: 2022 Youth Fair Rules – make sure to review your project categories and know which one your project falls under and if there are any specifications you need to make sure you follow.
- Link to the paperwork: Project Worksheet (no page breaks)
- The rules state that your paperwork must be handwritten by the youth member submitting the project – Project worksheets are worth 25% in judging each project.
- NOTE: Little Wranglers do NOT need to fill out any paperwork except the 1st page with the country store price
- If you have any other youth fair questions, please let us know as far ahead of time as possible – it will be hard to answer them the day before and day of check-in.
RABBIT VALIDATION REMINDERS:
- Rabbit Validation will take place this coming Monday, December 13, 2021, from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM at the Elgin Show Barn.
- You will need to bring all of the rabbits you would like to show in January
- This will be a little stressful on the rabbits, since they are going to be tattooed, so exhibitors will need to note that they may be a little grumpy when being handled this evening and it may change their feed consumption. Be sure to monitor their feed/water consumption for the next few days, as well as the tattooed area for any signs of infection.
- For sanitation purposes, all rabbits need to be presented for the show and validation in a wire bottom cage or carrier with a suspended floor. No boxes, crates, pet taxis, or any solid floors are recommended – this usually results in them sitting in their own urine for quite some time and being difficult to handle during this process.
- Make sure you write down or make a note of what tattoo each of your rabbits has (or is given) for your records – these may need to be referenced at check-in at the show.
GENERAL LIVESTOCK EXHIBITOR & SATURDAY SCHEDULE UPDATES:
- There are 3 opportunities for livestock exhibitors to participate in a barn clean-up per the show rules:
- Sunday, December 12, 2021, from 2:00 PM to 5:00 PM
- Sunday, January 2, 2022, from 2:00 PM to 5:00 PM – next ELSA meeting will immediately follow this clean-up
- Sunday, January 9, 2022, from 2:00 PM to 5:00 PM
- The updated Livestock Show Schedule is now available Here (Google Drive) and Here (PDF Copy). There are a few big changes:
- The show has bumped the overall show schedule back and the show will take place over the full day
- Stalls are going to be assigned ahead of time – families will have their animals stalled together as much as possible, and they are going to try to intersperse exhibitors from Bastrop, Elgin, McDade, and Smithville with each other to help build community and camaraderie
- If you would like to show your animals off the trailer, that is also acceptable – please let the show board know immediately.
- There will be a lunch break from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM, but there will not be a meal served
- The Auction has been bumped to begin at 5:00 PM in the evening with appetizers being served
RECRUITING/INVITING BUYERS TO BCJLS:
- The Show Board has designed a PDF Flyer that can be printed and shared with local businesses and when inviting potential buyers to the show!
- You will need to reach out to buyers ahead of time to develop a relationship with them and invite them to the show and sale:
- This is not just a one-time thing, you will need to keep them updated on your project and your goals
- Start out with an initial letter at the beginning of the school year updating them on what projects you have, your goals, and invite them to the show
- Send them some updates on your projects throughout the year and send them some reminders and invites as we get closer to the show
- Be sure to take pictures of you and your animals throughout your project timeline to add it to your letters/updates
- Some Examples of information to include:
- Tell them about yourself. Example – My name is ________ and I am a senior at _______________. I have been an active member in my chapter by showing_____________, and I have been an 4-H/FFA officer for three years.
- Tell them about this year’s project, and share pictures.
- Tell them your goals for this year’s project. Example – I plan on showing Ricky Bobby at the Smithville 4-H/FFA Livestock show, and then taking him to the San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo. If you didn’t get to show last year, included how your last year project was impacted because of COVID.
- INVITE THEM TO COME TO THE SHOW. Include date and time… make the invite personal
- Make sure to thank them, and personally sign it!
- THE MORE PERSONAL AND INVITING THE BETTER. If people get to know you they will become INVESTED in you and your project.
- Rockne Livestock Booster Club Buyer’s Letter Resources:
- Other opportunities can be found on the County Calendar – registration information should be included for each post.
- Other Contest related opportunities can be found on the Judging Card Calendar – to sign up for these opportunities, please contact Mellanie at MLMickelson@ag.tamu.edu or at 512-581-7186
That’s all for now! Have a great week and let us know if you have any questions!
Mellanie L. Mickelson
Bastrop County Extension Agent – 4-H & Youth Development
Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Services
P.O. Box 650 | 901 Pecan Street | Bastrop, TX 78602
p: (512) 581-7186 | c: (512) 522-9174 | f: (512) 581-7187